Monday, April 15, 2013

Glimakra and Japanese Handmade Etc.

The 2013 ANWG NW Weavers Conference Marketplace Mall will be June 20-22, Carver Gym, Western Washington Univeristy, Bellingham, WA.  During the next few weeks we will be featuring some of our outstanding merchants on our blog.

This week we are featuring two Marketplace Mall merchants  --Gilmakra and Japanese Handmade Etc.






The weaving and loom building traditions in Sweden have an unbroken history and the knowledge about weaving and looms has been past down from one generation to another. A grandmother taught her granddaughter and an aunt taught her niece. Weaving has always been an important part of the Swedish culture and there usually was a woodworker in the neighborhood who was the loom maker.

Glimakra Swedish weaving equipment follows a long line of proven construction techniques. Sturdy and functional design gives you the equipment that works well and will serve for generations. Glimakra Products make your weaving easier and more comfortable. Ease of operation is a primary feature of our looms and products.
Glimakra-USA works very closely with the GAV-Glimakra factory in Sweden. Glimakra-USA maintains a large warehouse in Montana (largest in the world outside of the factory in Sweden). We also maintain an inventory of Swedish threads, yarns and weaving kits. Visitors are welcome. So, if you happen to be in Montana or in Helena, the capitol city of Montana, give a call to get directions. MapQuest works too.

Our Glimakra-USA web site contains a lot of information on weaving and looms, from a glossary of terms to detailed weaving information and free weaving project instructions. You can also use the contact information,  request a catalog and price list, get information on ordering, download a price list and ask your weaving and loom questions.

Contact us when you have weaving and loom questions. Have fun. Joanne. 




Japanese Handmade Etc.

 Japanese Handmade Etc started in 2003 when I moved to my husband’s country hometown on the northern island of Japan, Hokkaido. My mother, who taught me how to sew, encouraged me to combine my Industrial Design background and the use of the Internet to sell my handmade creations. She was concerned about me going from “city mouse” to “ country mouse”.

In 2006, I found Etsy and started listing my handmade pouches. Through a well-known sock knitting blogger, my sales increased and I was given much needed exposure. It allowed us to move back to the States in time to care for my mother. Every sale was encouraging and good news to my mother as the cancer ate away at her frail body. She could see she left a legacy with her described ‘diamond-headed’ daughter.

After moving back to the States, sewing bags with Japanese influence has a special meaning. It allows me to hold on to the wonderful memories of my long time stay there, while keeping the memory of my mother alive.
Trail and error of craft shows led to a focus on fiber shows with larger bags for the fiberholic needs. My Etsy site concentrates on smaller items like pouches, but fiber shows focuses on big bags. I finally stamped my bags with a label of my name. Participating in this fiber show means much to me, stepping into a community who also love and appreciate all things handmade. Thank you for this opportunity.










The public is invited to shop during all Marketplace Mall open hours.  Marketplace Mall open hours will be:
  • Thursday, June 20 - 12 noon—6 p.m.
  • Friday, June 21 - 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Saturday, June 22 - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment